Fw: An Article From Slate

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Mar 30 18:47:18 PST 2000

>Apparently the existence of low-paid work doesn't trouble her, just
>its raced and gendered slotting.

i know, wasn't that a nice touch. heh. people write as if this country is somehow integrated. didn't i just stats to the list elucidating that most people of color live in something like 10 major cities. what the heck do they think people do for maids, etc where there are few people of color? statements like bergman made denote a fundamental capacity to move out of your own enclosed pod, as ellen frank pointed out.

and not only that, she reminds me of my mother! god help us all. i have a clean house for the most part --my desk leaves much to be desired. but when my mother comes around, i'm on the floor for days beforehand picking up crumbs from behind the sofa. and it never fails that she finds something. like the last time she visited me in ny she commented on the built in picture over the fireplace in the place we were renting. she thought it'd look better if i were to gently scrub it cleaner. yeahrightmom, i work 70 hrs a week and i'm going to scrub a picture that is built in the wall of a rental.

kelley

"i would tell you the whole story but I might puke if I did." holden caulfield