Chomsky on Madison

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 30 18:57:21 PST 2000

Perhaps you might refer to passages in the Politics where Aristotle notes his preference for oligarchy. There are six general types of constitutions for Aristotle, divided according to whether there are one, few, or many rulers. For each type there is a correct and deviant constitution. Correct constitutions have as their aim the general good; and deviant, the good of the rulers.

Types

One ruler: Correct---King; Deviant--- Tyranny

Few rulers: Correct---Aristocracy; Deviant---Oligarchy

Many: Correct--Polity; Deviant ---Democracy

Aristotle suggests that polity is probably the best that can be achieved in practical terms and this is a form of rule by the many not the few. Oligarchy for Aristotle is bad. It is the rule of the rich in the interest of the rich. However, democracy too is rejected as being the rule of the poor in their own interests and not in the general interest. Aristotle distinguishes a number of different kinds of democratic constitution and discusses their strengths and weakness. Some relevant passages are collected at http://perseus.holycross.edu/current/AthDem/Passages.html

Cheers, Ken Hanly