The Genealogy of Specious Dualisms (was: Platonist Chomsky?)

Curtiss Leung bofftagstumper at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 19:56:58 PST 2000

Ted:

You wrote:

> Yes, language changes over time, but do the rules
> that generate it change over time? Can we express
> these rules as equations? Isn't an equation
> ideal and atemporal? You stated that the
> algoorithms by which we understand statements are
> stored. In other words, they exist as an
> arrangement of molecules. So, here's my question:
> Is it Platonic Chomsky or Atomic Chomsky?

I find it surprizing that after all the attacks you mount on traditional categories and oppositions, i.e., matter/spirit, body/mind, you now insist that Scott -- who isn't even a Chomskyan, for heaven's sake -- choose between these two.

There is a great deal to be silent about on this topic. -- Curtiss