Chomsky on Madison

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Fri Mar 31 08:43:25 PST 2000

On Thursday, March 30, 2000 at 23:53:57 (-0800) Brad De Long writes:

>>>This is totally and profoundly dorky.
>>
>>No, again, as you are wont to do, you distort and invent. How many
>>times does this make, Brad? A half-dozen, maybe more? First Chomsky
>>comes in for your calumny, then Bruce Cumings, now back to Chomsky.
>>Each time I have to intrude with the facts, quickly ascertained with a
>>few minutes of nose to book. A smartie like you with a good library
>>should know better than this.
>>
>>Let's see, according to you Aristotle was opposed to a limited degree
>>of inequality, which is why he... thought it best
>>that to arrange it so that "each man may have two estates and everyone
>>may have a share";
>
><sarcasm>Ah. My mistake. I presumed that slaves--the people who work
>these two estates per "man"--are people too. </sarcasm>
>
>Of course, if slaves aren't people then, yes, you can read Aristotle
>and pretend that he is a democrat. But I cannot imagine why anyone
>woul want to...

And by the same logic, because you would presumably deny the right to vote for 13 year-olds, you are "anti-democratic", since you exclude some portion of the population. Aristotle's vision of who would participate in this is flawed in EXACTLY the same way as Madison's --- women didn't count for much in his thought, nor did slaves. Chomsky explicitly made reference to this, but you just can't seem to get past your preconceived notions to admit what is plainly obvious.

Bill