Fw: An Article From Slate

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Mar 31 09:13:15 PST 2000

RB: But why isn't the EITC (a reform first introduced by Reagan, no?)

[mbs] No. Launched in 1975, expanded under Reagan, Bush, and Clinton.

a transfer within the tax paying working class to the benefit of the low-wage paying employing class? Won't a Howard Jarvis emerge to exploit this intraclass transfer as well (no doubt to get tax reform that really only helps pretty wealthy people)? I also remember mention of some study that found that a great percentage of the people who qualify for EITC do not indeed receive it--is this true?

[mbs] No, just the opposite. Take-up rates are over 85 percent, the highest of any means-tested program.

And since welfare reform had to be conceded last time to get a minimally higher minimum wage, what would have to be given up this time? Can we really reform capitalism through national electoral politics to attenuate inequality and achieve solid reforms for the working class as a whole? Yours, Rakesh

Yes.

mbs