Chomsky on Madison

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 31 10:49:53 PST 2000

But the original Chomsky stuff that was quoted noted that women and slaves were not citizens as well as I recall. The point is that polity is a form of rule of the many. We still mean by oligarchy rule by the few.On size of a state. I recall that Aristotle wanted to be able to call citizens to meetings and have them able to show up. Didn't someone recently write about small being beautiful? At least in Aristotle's polity citizens had a genuine say in policy and did not just elect someone once every few years who then decides how to vote on the basis of the biggest lobbyist. Indeed, modern bourgeois democracy is arguably a form of oligarchy, exactly as Aristotle understood that term--rule by the few in the interests of the rich.

With the new global village you could have an online meeting of the village :) We could include women, free the slaves, and ban neo-classical economists as running dogs of the oligarchs.

In his attitude to women Aristotle was conservative compared to Plato but on slaves he was a bit more radical than standard views in that he thought that Greeks should not be slaves even by conquest. Of course barbarians, who did not speak Greek, were a different matter.

Cheers, Ken Hanly