Chomsky -- Supreme Political Journalist

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 31 11:48:02 PST 2000

It is all very well to discuss Chomsky's politics (by which I think most mean his basic political theory and his conceptions of left political organization) or his linguistics (or theory of science). But I think we need to remember also that whatever we may think of any of these aspects of his work, it is hard to imagine what the anti-imperialist left in the u.s. would be without the immense resource that Chomsky's books offer us. It really doesn't matter what the politics are of someone who provides us such a rich armory for our political work. Within a properly narrow framework, one may approve the proverb about white cat, black cat -- who cares as long as it catches mice.

Carrol