Piccone's vision closer to realization

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Fri Mar 31 22:05:54 PST 2000

Rakesh cited:

> The bill, unveiled by Mr. Berlusconi and Umberto Bossi, head of the
Northern League movement, would tighten naturalization requirements, denying a "lumpen proletariat mass" of foreign-born voters to the Left. The bill would set stiff immigration quotas, revoke existing immigration-related agreements with developing nations and allow the Italian coast guard to fire at the boats smuggling in foreigners. At the same time, the bill would grant tax breaks for missionary and humanitarian activity in poor countries.

A number of ships have already gone missing; and there's photographic evidence of at least one patrol boat ramming a ship carrying refugees that was posted round, so it suggests instead perhaps the legalisation of what's already been occuring on an ad hoc basis, a situation which has been monitored and protested by Ya Basta! et al; as well as a means to deflect the growing protests over D'Alema's own policies which have also for the last year in particular been the subject of pretty effective protests. That's how I would read this at first glance, though from a distance. I guess what happens depends will indicate just how strong the antiracist/anti-lager movement is in Italy.

Angela _________