Zizek's Lenin

Mon May 1 10:40:02 PDT 2000

>While the absolute immiseration thesis has turned out largely wrong
>- though the course of Africa over the last 20 years is an important
>and disgraceful exception - relative immiseration, a/k/a
>polarization - certainly hasn't: the gap between rich and poor
>globally and within individual countries (including our own glorious
>land) has never been so wide. Nor has the gap between possibility
>and actuality ever been so wide: there's no reason anyone, anywhere
>should go hungry or die of diarrhea or go blind from vitamin A
>deficiency, but it happens in vast numbers every day.
>
>And as for work, there's plenty of godawful jobs in the world. Even
>"successful" people are often massively bored, stressed, and/or
>alienated. Maybe not professors of economics at prestigious
>universities, but try working as a chicken puller or in a municipal
>recycling facility.
>
>Doug

I'm not saying that people's jobs are bowls of cherries: they are not, and (in my view) the research university professoriate is incredibly lucky--we've managed to expropriate control over the not-for-profit organizations we "work for" and use it to rearrange our jobs to suit ourselves.

The weak points I see are "relative to conscious democratic planning..." and "easy and straightforward to rearrange work..."