USA: More Repressive Than North Korea

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 1 14:47:56 PDT 2000

Carl Remick wrote:

> I'd say that line is beat easily by his ultimate thigh-slapper, "One death
> is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic."

I believe the version of this coined by someone in this country was, "One death is a tragedy, 10,000 is a problem in sanitation." Variations pop up all over. Anyone know of any dependable ascriptions?

Around 90 years ago, to the New York Times 3 deaths (by lynching in the south) was neither a statistic nor a tragedy but an occasion for editorial humor.

Carrol