Zizek's Lenin

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue May 2 06:47:04 PDT 2000

I have to side with Carrol on this one. I think this "rah, rah, longevity" business gets you nowhere. One of the things I like about _Brave New World_ is how neatly Huxley balances the nightmarishness of primitive society with that of technological society; both modes of living are equally awful but in different ways. My own view of the fruits of capitalist scientific achievement is that they have made possible lives that are nasty, brutish ... and long.

Carl