Zizek's Lenin

Tue May 2 11:00:35 PDT 2000

>>> James Baird <jlbaird3 at yahoo.com> 05/02/00 01:43PM >>>

> Your reference to the unibomber is totally out to
> lunch. I am saying nothing against peaceful use of
> technology.

Pardon me, but that seemed to be exactly what you were saying. You said, and forgive me if I misread, that lives in the third world were all sweetness and light until the nasty europeans came with their awful technology and ruined everything.

__________

CB: Oh did I say that ? Why don't you point to the post where I said it ?

What I said was the nasty Europeans came with their colonialism and slavery and committed the worst crimes against humanity in human history. Their hi tech weapons made it possible. And that's a fact.

________

According to you, Europeans and their technology are responsible for not only AIDS but malaria(!),

_________

CB: On malaria in West Africa, see the paper circa 1958 by physical anthropologist Frank Livingstone (prof. emeritus Univ of Mich.; not a radical) demonstrating that the agricultural techniques introduced by Europeans created standing bodies of water in which mosquitos bred and caused a malaria epidemic.

What do you think is the origin of AIDS, hunting parties in Africa ?

_________

and any increases in lifespan that resulted from third world access to european technology are just part of a sinister plot to increase suffering.

___________

CB: I think you are deluding. Why would you do that in a medium in which everything that I have said is recorded , and anybody can look and see I didn't say what you say I said. If you don't think these are gross distortions, nothing like what I said, then you can't read.

___________

As far as I can tell, you wish that the Renaissance, industrial revolution, etc. never happened, and that everyone in the world still led a pastoral existance in which there was no domination of man by man, and everyone was equal, and tra la la...

CB: Evidently, you can't tell very far. ________

I take it back. At least the unabomber, nutty as he is, has a coherant philosophy: all technology is bad, smash it all, damn the consequences. You seem to think you can magically separate "good" tech from "bad" tech, with all "bad" tech emanating from nasty Europeans...

CB: No, it can't be done magically. On how to do it ( and a coherent philosophy) , see Marxism.

_________

Jim Baird, who has reached his limit for the day and has to go remind himself why he considers himslef a leftist...

_______

CB: Cause he sure don't sound like no leftist.

CB