Sneaker Scumbags

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Wed May 3 05:18:13 PDT 2000

G'day Doug'n'Dennis,

>>This is the first year I've taught classes at the U of O where my students
>>are prompting *me* with radical critiques of capitalism.
>
>Oh I love to read sentences like this. Stuff's happening. What a bad
>time for Perry Anderson to relaunch New Left Review drenched in
>defeatism and despair.

Stuff's happening, alright. That little internal contradiction, the one between the 'capitalist' and 'democratic' constituents of liberalism, is showing its face. It's always the young 'uns, eh? Oldies might be better at countering the establishment's ridicule/platitudes etc (that side of the mainstream media coverage has been consequently poorly utilised, I think), but it's the young 'uns doing the hard yards. Good on 'em!

An Irrelevant Oldie, Rob.