Zizek's Lenin

hep ingham hingham at igc.apc.org
Wed May 3 06:15:25 PDT 2000

The following extracted from a cc e-mail. The author requested anonymity. Any comments on the last two sentences?

. I noticed in your footnotes that you had presented a paper at the AHA on " The Vietnam War and the Limits of Military Keynesianism." I was wondering if you would be willing to send me a copy; I'd be most grateful for the opportunity to read it. Are you doing any other related work on the intersection of politics and economics in the 60s (or any other time)?

I should say that the division of the world that you decry between the self-defeating "radicalism" of the posts and the conservatism of most of the rest is depressing to a lot of us, in whatever field we're working. It's been particularly alienating for a marxist historian like myself, who actually lived through, as activist and academic, that relatively progressive new left period to which you refer, though I wouldn't want to exaggerate the theoretical sophistication of the radicalism of those days. Still, one hardly knows whether to laugh or cry when today's historians interest themselves deeply in theory, practically for the first time ever...and it turns out that the theory is "Theory". I'll take mindless empiricism any day.