Zizek's Lenin

Wed May 3 09:24:39 PDT 2000

>Brad De Long wrote:
>
>>But what I was curious about was not the negative critique of
>>capitalism but the positive critique: what is to replace it? What
>>is the superior social calculating mechanism for planning
>>production and distributing consumption? How to rearrange work so
>>as to greatly shrink the realm of necessity and greatly enlarge the
>>realm of freedom?
>
>These are the $64,000 questions (in decommodified, nonalienated
>dollars, of course). My own strategy would be to be embarrassingly
>gradualist - to remove life, bit by bit, from the compulsions of
>money: guaranteed minimum incomes, decommodified provision of health
>and education, free child care, confiscatory taxation at the high
>end, greater worker control over the workplace, constriction of
>financial markets, forced opening of corporate books, etc.
>
>Doug

Danger! Danger, Will Robinson! You're sounding like a Keynesian--or at least like John Maynard Keynes in "Economic Possibilities for Our Grandchildren"...

:-)

Laura Tyson will tell you that greater worker control over the workplace in Yugoslavia did give workers in successful firms a strong incentive not to replace their comrades who quit--because then the rents from market position were shared out among fewer people. Thus the more successful a factory was, the slower its labor force tended to grow. (To be fair, the fight over whether this was just a "tendency" or an empirical fact was never resolved.)

Practically everyone will tell you that every bureaucracy that isn't under strong market discipline--and some bureaucracies that are under strong market discipline--tend to develop pathetic and extreme amounts of "slack." How do you empower the clients of an organization that provides "decommodified" goods and services?

Market failure in financial markets I understand. How to improve them seems to me to be much harder (although there do seem to me to be a bunch of things worth trying)...

Thus I tend toward liking large guaranteed minimum incomes, lots of vouchers for people to spend, and substantial tax penalties for all short-term financial investments...

But this strikes me as rather thin gruel compared to our common utopian dreams...

Brad DeLong