Zizek's Lenin

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 3 19:21:30 PDT 2000

/ dave / wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > I call these
> > abstractions empty because, as far as I can see, they all represent
> > attempts to avoid talking about actual people living actual lives.
>
> What human being living under capitalism, especially in the media-saturated zones, is living
> an "actual life," or can even remember what it means/how it feels to do so?

I'm not sure you really want to claim this. If you look at it, it is too much like the Platonic "The unexamined life is not worth living" -- which suggests that someone or something is in the position to dictate from on high what it means for a life to be "worth living." Marta Russell has commented acidly on such claims.

Carrol