Zizek's Lenin

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Wed May 3 20:33:32 PDT 2000

On Wed, 3 May 2000 20:45:32 EDT Apsken at aol.com wrote:

> Clear and unambiguous slogans and programs.

Unambiguous? Sounds like the ideal speech situation to me. Is Habermas on board with this program? I just saw Fight Club, the message was pretty clear and the program solid. But I couldn't determine who was doing the talking. I got worried at the end there.

> Explicit revolutionary aims that foster no illusions about reforms, even when
> compromises must be made. Sufficient organizational discipline to foster
> strong, unified action. Revolutionary defeatism.

I'm with Doug on this one. Wits and the seat of my pants. Strong, unified, discipline? Gosh, reminds me of learning how to read French and German. That wasn't fun. The revolution has to be fun. -->
> > I think the organization model of the Direct Action Networks is very
> > interesting - it's very disciplined and flexible, consensual and
> > effective, serious and witty. I don't know where it can go, but maybe
> > it's the organizational model for a different century you're looking
> > for. It doesn't look much like the Bolshies, but it's not 1917
> > anymore.

Yep, if you bring a gun to a fight, they'll bring a rifle (if you're lucky, otherwise they'll bring rocket launchers). I'm going to bring bisquick, with strawberry jelly. Food first. A bit of dancing, a book, a lover and a whistle. Maybe something fruity to drink.

ken