The Suicide of New Left Review (posted by Doug Henwood to LBO-Talk)

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Thu May 4 06:03:38 PDT 2000

Just sent this to Doug offlist, but I can't stop laughing at Lou, so figured send it on to y'all. And in a previous post to his list, Lou says C of C, is "mired in the Democratic Party." Huh? The CPUSA sure is, even DSA has gotten much more agnostic. C of C, at least here on the West Coast, sure isn't, at least the newsletters I get don't proclaim the necessity to be a delegate to the Ca. Democratic Party or join a Democratic Party club. Though a stalwart of C of C here was a staffer for Tom Ammiano in his run for Mayor of S.F. recently. Course the local Burton-Brown machine, does everything possible to fight the more left elements of the local Democratic Party scene.

Michael Pugliese

P.S. And Jared Israel! (Borba) Fine talk from one published in TruthInMedia, a far right, anti-NWO rag from Arizona. "The question is, if a leaf walks the tightrope from east to west, does anybody tremble?"

RE: The Suicide of New Left Review (posted by Doug Henwood to LBO-Talk) From: Louis Proyect (lnp3 at panix.com) Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 15:36:37 EDT Next message: Carlos Eduardo Rebello: "RE: The Suicide of New Left Review." Previous message: Louis Proyect: "Re: TURN OF THE CENTURY LAND GRABS IN EAST AFRICA" In reply to: Mark Jones: "RE: The Suicide of New Left Review (posted by Doug Henwood to LBO-Talk)" Next in thread: Borba100 at aol.com: "Re: The Suicide of New Left Review (posted by Doug Henwood to LBO-Talk)" Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

>Where will Doug get published in future? I have an old roneo machine I
could
>lease him.
>
>Mark Jones

But given Doug's drift, wouldn't the NLR be just the kind of place that he'd find eager to print his articles? Truth to tell, Doug has never written an article incorporating his new politics, not even in LBO. It's mostly semiconscious bleats, not worthy of print. Frankly, I don't think that Doug could "write" prose like Zizek, Bourdieu or Butler if his life depended on it.

Doug, of course, is an expression of the hopelessness conveyed by Perry Anderson's piece. His crusade on behalf of the execrable Zizek would even make him more comfortable with this crowd. On the other hand, he seems genuinely excited by the Seattle and Washington protests, neither of which somebody like Perry Anderson, who lectures in the department run by Robert Brenner at UCLA, would have bothered with.

I think Doug is a classic example of the middle-class intellectual who is attracted to the workers movement, but not part of it. Like the leaves on the tree, they tremble in the wind from the east or the west. The wind has been blowing from the west for 25 years now, but there are signs that things are changing. That is why he walks the tightrope between Zizek and Seattle. (Too many metaphors? Shoot me.)

Louis Proyect