New Left Gossip

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Thu May 4 16:53:29 PDT 2000

In message <Pine.NEB.4.21.0005041214220.18432-100000 at panix6.panix.com>, Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> writes

>All these "true gentlemen" comments have aroused my idle curiousity - what
>is Perry Anderson's social background?

I believe he comes from the Protestant ascendancy in Ireland. There is a long-standing radical tradition amongst these, now more or less overshadowed by the more plebeian and reactionary Orangemen. But, I can't remember the source, so don't take it as read.

I think I have a lot more time for Mr Anderson's stuff than most here. English Questions is well worth looking at, as was his recent short book on postmodernism. His assessment that the right is more thoughtful than the left these days is not so wrong.

In message <p04310101b5372eee4ce0@[216.254.77.128]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes
>Jim heartfield wrote:
>
>> > Kate Soper,
>>best keep quiet about Ms Soper.
>
>Come now. You can't foreground discretion in that way and then say no
>more. Out with it, James!

No, its all just silly gossip, and untrue, I'm sure. -- Jim heartfield