whore: class & class consciousness

JC Helary helary at eskimo.com
Thu May 4 18:11:38 PDT 2000

Le Thu, May 04, 2000 a 01:35:12PM -0400, kelley a ecrit:
> ahhh, yes, the article that annalee shoulda read--how legalizing
> prostitutions deglamorizes it into just another job......

(really interesting reading, more enlightening than quotes from Lenin, but this is another subject :-)

There was a paper in a japanese weekly recently on this issue. Here prostitution is illegal (as a reminder) and the discussion was between two men, one pro legalization one against. The pro's opinion was interesting because he was a prostitute, and considered that legalized prostitution could (should) be considered a normal activity. The against was repeating all the arguments like 'sexual power relation' 'illegal foreign sex workers' etc. Because I never really though about the issue I don't have much of an opinion (probably a sin...) but the prostitute's case made real sense while the other guy sounded like he was just seeing the problem from a very theorical point. He was not really convincing. Plus, I suppose male/female prostitution are two vastly different issues ???

JC Helary