New Left Gossip

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Thu May 4 22:31:24 PDT 2000

I find that conservative writers have become intellectually lazy in many ways; a generation ago, conservatives were battling the left with a wideranging attack on the welfare state and liberal culture. With the advances of Reaganism and Thatcherism, along with the fall of the Berlin Wall, conservatives have moved into a defense mode, promoting the present in panglossian terms of the best of all possible worlds. They are increasingly ignoring substantive responses to oppositional critiques in favor of rhetorical dismissal and mocking -- the recent straw man denunciations of the "mindlessness" of the Seattle/DC protests being a good example.

At a personal level, I've been incredibly disappointed in the conservative teachers here at Yale Law; their "law and economics" is of the mindless defense of the present corporate law with little engagement of any radical economic critiques. Where a generation ago they were storming the gates of Keynesian economics and the regulatory state with strong critical engagement, law and economics types in law are burrowing into the most narrow questions while retreating from the larger issues where they might have to engage more radical arguments.

As for the left, there are many radical thinkers who are too quick to engage in solipsistic debates with little engagement in the broader world, but there are still an amazing array of good thinkers out there. They are often heavily disengaged from the activist community, but even that seems to be changing.

-- Nathan Newman