New Left Gossip

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Fri May 5 18:06:02 PDT 2000

I suspect the Gregory Elliott volume on Anderson, could be a bit too Althusserian, for my taste and others. Here is another work. Blurbed by Stuart Hall, if memory serves. " Cultural Marxism in Postwar Britain: History, the New Left, and the Origins of Cultural Studies, " Dennis L. Dworkin, Duke Univ. Press, 1997. Probably rectifies the imbalance back towards Williams, Thompson, Hoggart. Which reminds me, anyone here ever study with Alasdair MacIntyre? He was part of the original New Reasoner/Universities and Left Review crowd that NLR emerged from. His early politics are called neo-Trotskyist, in David Widgery's Penguin books anthology on the Brit New Left. His book of essays from the late 60's, "Against the Self-Images of the Age, " is a fine read.

Michael Pugliese