New Left Gossip

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Fri May 5 19:31:26 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/5/00 9:09:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, debsian at pacbell.net writes:

<< Which reminds me, anyone here ever study with Alasdair

MacIntyre? He was part of the original New Reasoner/Universities and Left

Review crowd that NLR emerged from. His early politics are called

neo-Trotskyist, in David Widgery's Penguin books anthology on the Brit New

Left. His book of essays from the late 60's, "Against the Self-Images of the

Age, " is a fine read. >>

No, I didn't study with him. You know he has gone over the communitarian Catholic right, no? Thompson has a discussion of his early views in The Politics of Theory, with long quotes, that bring out what a tragedy that is. --jks