New Left Gossip

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat May 6 08:32:28 PDT 2000

<< Which reminds me, anyone here ever study with Alasdair

MacIntyre? He was part of the original New Reasoner/Universities and Left

Review crowd that NLR emerged from. His early politics are called

neo-Trotskyist, in David Widgery's Penguin books anthology on the Brit New

Left. His book of essays from the late 60's, "Against the Self-Images of the

Age, " is a fine read. >>

No, I didn't study with him. You know he has gone over the communitarian Catholic right, no? Thompson has a discussion of his early views in The Politics of Theory, with long quotes, that bring out what a tragedy that is. - --jks

Yup, one of my guilty pleasures, is looking through the website of First Things, the neo-con monthly put out by Richard John Neuhaus. (Back in 1996 or so they had a rancorous symposium on whether "moral decline" and such had made the "American regime"- that latter word, got the ire of some some of the participants, some of whom were Robert Bork and Chuck Colson- worth the allegience of the right-wing intelligentsia.) Other ex-lefties like the Genovese's, Jean Bethke Elshtain, MacIntyre, Lasch before he diedhave appeared there. If I'm gonna skim a neo-con rag, this ex-Catholic prefers, First Things to Commentary. http://www.firstthings.com/menus/index.html

Michael Pugliese

P.S. Any poets wanna write, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Podhoretz" Eating peaches is moral equivalence. Apricots are virtuous.