From The Union "Hardhead List"

Reese reeza at flex.com
Sat May 6 11:28:55 PDT 2000

At 09:53 AM 06/05/00 -0400, Tom Lehman wrote:

>One of my pals, a Teamstster posted this on the union "hardhead" list.
Any >comments:

>The unemployment rate here in the States is the lowest since 1970 and
>Alan Greenspan, the Federal Reserve Board Chairman, has been quoted to
>have said he is worried about higher labor costs and the bargaining
>power of the labor force. What are your thoughts? Is Mr. Greenspan
>against us? I read where he was a good friend of Ayn Rand. Ayn Rand has
>been known to write about the virtues of the individual rather than the
>^^^^^

Yeah. Your friend makes that sound like it's a bad thing. It isn't, necessarily. The needs of the one vs. the many is an old debate, it seems clear which side that friend is on. Are we going to start condemning people because of who, or what they know also?

Thought police. Open up. We're taking you for reeducation, you've been reading Ayn Rand and discussing individualism with others.

At the next doorway, Open up, your neighbor reads Ayn Rand, this whole block is getting reeducated. Leave everything behind, get on the bus. Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into our collective or be shot as a threat to it.

The dichotomy presented by that one vs. many argument forces between one of two decisions, when there are invariably other alternatives, if they are looked for.

What was your take on it Tom?

Reese