W speaks

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 6 15:52:26 PDT 2000

[from Sam Smith's Progressive Review]

THE LIST: DSL Dubya as a Second Language

1. Vocabulary

Barriffs: barriers Cuff Links: handcuffs Grecians: Greeks Inebriating: enthralling Obscufate: obfuscate Pillared: pilloried Preservation: perseverance Presumptive: presumptuous Slovokian: Slovenian Subscribe: ascribe Subsidation: Subsidization Tacular weapons: tactical weapons Tenants: tenets Terriers: tariffs Vile: viable Vulcanize: balkanize

2. Grammar

Laura and I really don't realize how bright our children is sometimes until we get an objective analysis.

I was raised in the West. The west of Texas. It's pretty close to California. In more ways than Washington, DC, is close to California

Reading is the basics for all learning

I understand small business growth. I was one.

The senator has got to understand if he's going to have - he can't have it both ways. He can't take the high horse and then claim the low road,

If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign.

How do you know if you don't measure if you have a system that simply suckles kids through.

We ought to make the pie higher.

I think we need not only to eliminate the tollbooth to the middle class, I think we should knock down the tollbooth.

The most important job is not to be governor, or first lady in my case.

Will the highways on the Internet become more few?

I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family.

This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mential losses.

Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning

There needs to be debates, like we're going through. There needs to be town-hall meetings. There needs to be travel. This is a huge country.

[Examples from TPR, Slate, and Washington Post]