Zizek's racism

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Sun May 7 08:48:31 PDT 2000

On Sun, 7 May 2000 10:48:33 EDT Apsken at aol.com wrote:

> > Although it may fascinate some confused
> >pseudo-Leftists, this obscene carnivalization of the social life is
> >effectively the other, public, face of ethnic cleansing: while in Belgrade
> >people defiantly dance on the streets, three hundred kilometers to the
> >South, a genocide of African proportions is taking place.

Zizek is still alive, last time I checked, so presumably it is, in theory, possible to ask for a clarification about what he meant by "African." Also, consistent with is work, he's likely using the categorical politically or impressionistically, not substantially. So it would be inappropriate to impute to Zizek an essentialist position on this. Given that - there are a variety of hermeneutic readings:

1. the term is being used for shock value - to encourage a free association with recent violence in Africa 2. it might be racist 3. he might be drawing a comparison which allows further and more in depth analysis of political violence in Eastern Europe and Africa

I doubt very much that Zizek is implying the position attributed to him: "Africans... supposedly committing 'genocide' on each other" - which would amount to a boar of a position that no sane person could hold. I have a difficult time considering seriously that Zizek is saying, "Look, in those living in Eastern Europe are behaving like barbarians - just like those living in Africa." Such a position is absolutely absurd. If anything - Zizek is highlighting the arrogance that to *eclipse* the fact that systematic slaughter can occur (does occur) in 'modern' Europe is in fact the racist position. The idea that genocide "only happens in Africa" is a racist position. Zizek, on the contrary, is pointing out that it happens in modern Europe as well. In other words, Zizek is shaking the cozy dancing lifeworld of "civilized" European hubris by drawing attention to the violence immanent to European politics.

Maybe this is merely a charitable interpretation.

ken