domesticity

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun May 7 09:28:52 PDT 2000

On Sat, 6 May 2000, shane mage wrote:

> Michael Pollak wonders:
>
> >I'm a little baffled by the idea that native Americans were unable to develop
> >mobile military units based on horses.
>
> The establishment answer is that horses were "introduced" to the "new world"
> by the Spaniards.

No, I realize that. But that point is that even if we grant that, it seems clear that by the time the North American Plains Indians were under attack, horses were well integrated into many of their cultures and the warriors among them were if anything, better military horsemen than the Europeans. So that clearly has to be dropped as an independent variable in their demise.

Michael