Reply to Doug

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Sun May 7 15:57:59 PDT 2000

It was always my experience as well that theory-heads were often good core activists as well; my frustration was that in the practical field, they went was erudite theory in the classroom to an almost atheoretical "just do it" activism with relatively little sophistication on discussions of tactics and strategy. In this they paralleled Foucault in his later years, where he was often a good activist but was often engaged without much critical distance - his support for the Iranian revolution being one classic example of his misguided enthusiasm for action unto itself.

-- Nathan Newman