Bill Fletcher Jr. on Internationalism (Jim O'Connor)

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Mon May 8 02:36:43 PDT 2000

G'day Dennis'n'Jim,

>> The EU regularly gives tons
>>of money to its semi-peripheries, via grants, cheap loans and access to
>>markets, whereas we regularly bomb the living hell out of pretty much
>>anyone we can.

Reckon we'll see some rethinking of this if the Euro stays bed-ridden. Even reckon they might tell Greece to go jump. And the Germans are very cross with the way Eastern Europe is draining money off its rightful owners (copping aid and offering German tourists really cheap sex and grog, f'rinstance.). And, I'm with Jim. The bombs of Novi Sad may have been made in Seattle, but they would never have been dropped but for London, and would have had to stop quickishly and momentously but for Berlin ...

BTW, if you blokes were holding US$, exactly what circumstance would make you put it into Euros right now (obviously an 89-100 relativity ain't enough for anyone else just now)? Is there a compelling scenario whereby the greenback goes down the toilet relative to an assertively autonomous Euro?

>>France's Government mandated a shorter workweek, not a
>>longer one. Etc. etc. etc.

It does seem some European productivity boffins are pretty happy with their projections in this respect - sez Radio Netherlands, anyway ...

Cheers, Rob.