An AAUP Member's Letter of Protest to OSU President Kirwan

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon May 8 19:57:14 PDT 2000

As you know, Communications Workers of America Local 4501, a union of about 2,000 service and skilled-trade workers at the Ohio State University, has been on strike since May 1. The sit-in in support of Local 4501, which began on April 26, is still continuing, and today is the 13th day of the sit-in.

Today, President William Kirwan and Provost Edward Ray issued letters to faculty, staff, students, and parents: Message to faculty: http://www.osu.edu/osutoday/cwa/faculty.html Message to staff: http://www.osu.edu/osutoday/cwa/faculty.html Message to students: http://www.osu.edu/osutoday/cwa/students.html Message to parents: http://www.osu.edu/osutoday/cwa/parents.html.

Letters threaten union-busting as well as make thinly veiled threats against instructors who support the strikers. Please write to Kirwan <kirwan.1 at osu.edu> and Ray <ray.1 at osu.edu> in protest!

Yoshie

>Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 15:38:08 -0400
>To: Kirwan.1 at osu.edu
>From: "Keith M. Kilty" <kkilty at pop.service.ohio-state.edu>
>Subject: Your "Message from the President"
>Bcc:
>Dear President Kirwan,
>
>I am concerned about some of your remarks in your "Message from the
>President," dated May 7, 2000, as well as the implications of some
>of your statements for a just and equitable resolution to the
>current crisis at the Ohio State University.
>
>While you indicate that you respect our rights to express our
>opinions, you do so within the context of a veiled threat. How can
>you possibly lecture any of us on how we should teach our students
>or what we should teach them or where we should teach, when in fact
>you probably know very little about what most of us teach? I
>sincerely hope you are familiar with the principle of academic
>freedom. As a member of AAUP and chair of the OSU/AAUP Committee A,
>you can rest assured that I take the matter of academic freedom very
>seriously. In fact, it is respect for academic freedom that makes
>the great institutions of higher education in this country as great
>as they are.
>
>Unfortunately, you have not supported that principle, or the general
>principle of freedom of speech, all that well in your tenure at OSU,
>as evidenced by the Yassar Arafat fiasco in your first year here. I
>encourage you to reconsider your remarks and to make it very clear
>to the faculty and staff and students that you do indeed respect
>academic freedom and the rights of faculty and instructors to teach
>what they believe is right to teach.
>
>I am also concerned about your remarks on "restoring normalcy in
>campus services." You have indicated that you are hiring scabs.
>That is outrageous. Is your goal to break the union? That seems to
>be the direction of your policies. You could easily resolve this
>matter by calling for further talks and presenting a fair and
>equitable proposal to the union. Then there would be no need for
>you to hire so-called temporary workers. There is also the matter
>of calling on the working staff, including student workers, to
>assume responsibilities for which they are not responsible. The
>Lantern presented information today showing that various clerical
>and secretarial staff are now performing custodial services. Are
>these individuals actually freely volunteering to do so? I find
>that hard to believe. Many people are fearful of their futures here
>and will do what supervisors supposedly "ask," rather than risk
>facing direct or indirect sanctions. I am aware of a number of
>situations where individuals feel they must perform tasks that they
>do not want to, but feel that they have no choice. That is blatant
>coercion and exploitation - immoral actions that disgrace this fine
>institution.
>
>That leads me to a final concern, and that is your stated commitment
> [...]

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute

rejection of authority.

- Thomas Huxley

Keith Kilty