Anarchists Plan Mass 'Moon' at Monarchy

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Tue May 9 06:56:25 PDT 2000

Anarchists Plan Mass 'Moon' at Monarchy

Updated 8:50 AM ET May 9, 2000 By Bill Rosato

LONDON (Reuters) - British anarchists said Monday they were planning a series of demonstrations, including a mass baring of backsides, to protest against the British monarchy.

On their Web site, the Movement Against the Monarchy (MAM) said they planned the first ever mass public "mooning" outside Buckingham Palace. "We want 2,000 bare butts," said the MAM site.

A spokesman for MAM, Steve Edwards, 53, said the protest would be a "cheeky" way of gaining the monarchy's attention and would make a change from violent disorder.

"We would like to see the monarchy got rid of and we do think that we could only get rid of the monarchy as they did in Russia and France," said Edwards, who has been arrested 33 times, mainly for public order offences.

"If you get rid of the monarchy, the rest of the in-bred establishment will follow," he added.

Police said they were aware of the planned protests.

"We are aware of the potential for demonstrations to take place later this year. It is too early to speculate whether there will be violence. Any demonstrations will be policed appropriately and proportionately," a police spokeswoman said.

MAM, which plans the mooning protest on June 3, also plans to attend the Queen Mother's 100th birthday on August 4.

"Hell if we're paying for it we might as well be there," MAM said.

MAM would not only be targeting the monarchy but planned to gatecrash a banquet at London's Bankside Arts Center on May 11 which they believe Prime Minister Tony Blair and pop star Madonna will be attending.

Members of MAM took part in this month's Mayday anti-capitalist demonstrations in London, which degenerated into running battles with the police.

Edwards said he thought protesters who had destroyed a McDonald's restaurant during the riots had behaved in an "exemplary" fashion.

"We're all in favor of property damage," Edwards added.

-- << Chuck0 >>

This was the year *everything* changed.

-- Commander Ivanova, 2261

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/

Homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe