Zizek responds

Tue May 9 08:33:23 PDT 2000

Charles Brown wrote:

>What's wrong with taking one's self very motherfucking seriously ?

Because people will laugh so hard when you slip on a banana peel. In fact, they may anticipate laughing so hard that they'll put the banana peel in your path when you're not looking.

CB: What makes you think I am not slicker than they are , and that I won't laugh last ? I mean since laughing at someone is soooooooo important.

I mean who cares if fools who put banana peels in front of you laugh at you ? It is more of a commentary on them than on me, ain't it ?

Abstract individualism, The Individual, as of the bourgeoisie, is false individualism. Concrete individualism, as in taking yourself seriously, is where communist individualism is at.

Of course, if you read it as "never have fun", then you are confused. I take myself very seriously and I have fun everyday. I laugh a lot, but not by hurting others with "banana peels", a truly unfunny joke.

CB