Assault on Academic Freedom at OSU

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 9 09:16:16 PDT 2000

>Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 10:44:49 -0400
>To: Ed.Ray at admin.ohio-state.edu
>From: "Keith M. Kilty" <kkilty at pop.service.ohio-state.edu>
>Subject: Assault on Academic Freedom at OSU
>Bcc:
>Edward J. Ray, Provost
>203 Bricker Hall
>190 North Oval Mall
>

>Dear Ed,
>
>I am deeply concerned about the future of academic freedom at the
>Ohio State University. In the "Message from the President" that we
>received dated May 7, there were statements that indicate that
>central administration has decided to dictate to faculty what and
>how and where they may teach. I have already brought my concerns to
>the attention of President Kirwan, but the message also carried your
>name. In addition, there was an article in today's Dispatch that
>raises further alarm.
>
>According to The Dispatch (May 9, 2000, p. B2), "In a full-page
>advertisement yesterday in The Lantern, the OSU student newspaper,
>students were told to expect classes to meet 'in a normal fashion'
>and were asked to contact vice provosts 'if you feel that your
>instructors are not respecting your right to the education for which
>you have registered and paid.'"
>
>I am shocked. Is central administration beginning a witch hunt to
>identify dissenters? I don't know what else I can conclude from
>this assault on academic freedom and due process. How will such
>complaints be handled? Do students have to identify themselves? If
>accusations are made against faculty for not "respecting the rights
>of a student to the education for which they have registered and
>paid," will faculty then be given the names of accusers? Will
>faculty be given an opportunity to defend themselves? What is the
>intent of this statement, other than fear and intimidation of the
>many people on this campus who do not support central
>adminstration's position on the strike?
>
>I teach a GEC course titled "Minority Perspectives" (Social Work
>300) where I get complaints (i.e., accusations) from students that I
>am anti-white and anti-male. Others feel that I do not give proper
>credence to "creationism," since I do not consider it legitimate
>science. When values and beliefs are challenged, especially around
>issues such as race or gender or sexual orientation or biological
>determinism, some people have difficulty in dealing with that and
>will respond with complaints, often anonymously. I do not take such
>complaints seriously, although I encourage students to raise their
>concerns in class where we can have an open discussion.
>Unfortunately, many are not willing to do so; rather, they prefer to
>make complaints against people behind their backs.
>
>Now it appears that central administration is deliberately fostering
>a McCarthy-like atmosphere of hostility and fear and intimidation to
>silence disagreement. I hope that is not the case. Academic
> [...]

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute

rejection of authority.

- Thomas Huxley

Keith Kilty

kkilty at osu.edu ********************************************************************** ******** -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/enriched Size: 4527 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20000509/42e19bc9/attachment.bin>