[Fwd: RE: An Orientalist explanation from Zizek]

Mark Jones jones118 at lineone.net
Tue May 9 11:23:03 PDT 2000

Carrol, the problem I have with Lacan/Zizek is that they have the same relation to science that Ptolemy did to astronomy, except that Ptolemy was at least progenitive of real astronomy and the difficulty of his schemes also gave the development of maths a boost. I HAVE been reading both these guys recently. And I simply do not want to talk about them. Since the purpose of the Z/L canon seems to be to undermine ratiocination (never mind rationalism) as a process, but to do so precisely by employing vast and baroque arsenals of rational(ising) sophistry, their project seems falsified ab initio. Maybe Lacan's work has some therapeutic value; I know some people ardently think so. But I do not. Show me a single case of clinically diagnosed psychoneurosis, for instance, which was improved, mitigated or anyway not actually made worse by psychotherapy _qua clincial modality_ (I'm not talking about the undoubted benefits of group therapy, transactional analysis or other 'complementary' stuff - but that's not the point when you are claiming either scientificity or the critical liquidation of rationality, both of which contradictory claims z/l both make in different times/places). Unfortunately Freud never cured anyone.

I used to think that Freud's discovery of the unconcscious was epochal in the same way that Marx's discovery of surplus-value was epochal; they put an end to the self-deception at the heart of Victorian morality. but now I just think that what both really required, in order to 'happen' was the degree of monumental hypocrisy which the Victorians were capable of. But surplus-value does exist, even if the unconcscious does not. We know this because otherwise there is no way of explaining profit, so even if it is just 'saving the phenomena' as physicists say of trickery like Einstein's cosmological constant, which prove necessary to make the rest of an important theory stay up on its hind legs, we need surplus-value. You can still be a 'marxist' but you can't honestly be a 'freudian' any more, a fortiori a Lacanian or Zizekian. But perhaps no-one is claiming they are anyway, I dunno.

Mark Jones http://www.egroups.com/group/CrashList