Bill Fletcher Jr. on Internationalism (Jim O'Connor)

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Tue May 9 11:11:36 PDT 2000

In message <Pine.PMDF.3.96.1000508142949.538981499A- 100000 at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>, Dennis R Redmond <dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu> writes

Objecting to my

>> There I think I must defend my fellow Europeans. Most US cultural theory
>> is derivative of European post-structuralism and phenomenology.
>
>Fredric Jameson, Henry Louis Gates Jr, Judith Butler?

As I read Judith Butler I see her mostly following the post- structuralist critique of the subject, as in 'The Psychic Life of Power, Theories in Subjection'; Fredric Jameson - no disrespect to that considerable author - made his name popularising postmodernism over the Atlantic, his Marxism is borrowed straight from the Belgian Ernest Mandel's 'Late Capitalism'; Henry Louis Gates, I regret I am less familiar with.

-- Jim heartfield