China PNTR and American Agriculture

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Tue May 9 12:11:21 PDT 2000

Charles---The Chinese are self sufficient in agriculture. They have what the USDA has described as huge reserves of grain. They can and are exporting a wide range of agricultural products. In that respect the Chinese revolution can be described as a success.

The USDA has noted the weaknesses of Chinese agriculture too. They have some very low tech problems that could be solved fairly cheaply i.e. pest control in regards to grain storage, irrigation ditch improvements, the usage of the proper types of fertilizers, and improvements in their seed stock quality.

Charles, pollution control, water quality control, air quality control, sanitary sewage etc. isn't rocket science. Neither is electric light rail transportation. That's not what American corporations/multinational corporations are trying to sell the Chinese! They are trying to sell the Chinese on high tech and technology transfer which has nothing to do with the lot of the ordinary Chinese. To the corporations China is the ultimate reserve army of labor and a country where the corporatists can do as they please.

I think Jimmy Carter should check himself into the Betty Ford clinic on this issue.

Tom