Cockburns anti-PLC

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 9 12:53:04 PDT 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Picked this off the FREE REPUBLIC web site. The WASHINGTON TIMES is now
>recyclying Cockburn's attacks on the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC)to
>attack not only the SPLC but Chip Berlet's outfit and the left generally.
>Principled criticism of other progressives is a good thing, but this kind of
>immediate use of Cockburn's statements shows why his kind of roundhouse
>invective is a menace to progressives and leftists of all kinds. It allows
>rightwingers like this guy Wilcox and the WASHINGTON TIMES to say, see, even
>leftwingers like Cockburn agree Nazis and racists are not a big deal.

Counterpunch's original work on the SPLC was the product of Ken Silverstein, not Alex Cockburn. It'd be nice if the folks who do the real work would get some of the credit sometimes. It was not "roundhouse invective," it was serious investigative journalism.

Nathan, I don't understand your reasoning at all. Dees is a phony. His enterprise is a big direct mail machine that does almost nothing with the $100m it's managed to raise except fund more direct mail campaigns. We're supposed to say nothing about this because some hack in the Washington Times might put it to bad use?

Doug