Cockburn anti-SPLC

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 9 14:54:43 PDT 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>White supremacists have been spreading much of this nasty info about Dees
>since the early 1990s that Cockburn writes about.

Silverstein.

>If I am pissed off at the personal attacks on Dees, it is because
>Counterpunch (Cockburn and Sinclair) seem to have raised attacking other
>activists, from radicals to liberals, to a new art form.

You might enjoy this curious passage (missing verb in original) from the April 15-30 Counterpunch by JoAnn Wypijewski: "The view of many after Seattle that labor had betrayed our side when John Sweeney failed to lead 25,000 marchers into gas-laden streets. It's nice to imagine that the AFL might ever be such a militant institution, the fact is that most of those 25,000 people didn't come to Seattle to be gassed; and in most protest situations there will be masses of people who are passionate to participate but aren't ready to flout the law and aren't willing to risk their safety." Of course, the main source of this "view of many after Seattle" was CP itself.

Doug