Clint Eastwood vs. the ADA

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue May 9 19:54:08 PDT 2000

Harry is being dirty. Isn't ten years long enough notice? The ADA was passed in 1990. Hello?????

Do black people or women have to notify an employer or business that they are discriminating and they business better shape up in 90 days?

The reality is that when disabled people notify businesses they usually ignore us. Most every disabled person I know sends a letter asking the business to comply but then more often than not, nothing happens. The business community approach has been wait to comply until you have to - that is usually when someone gets a lawyer. Lawyers are hard to come by because there are no big damage awards available under the ADA for access violations. The exception to this is in California home of Dirty Harry where the state allows a $1,000 award per violation.

As for calling on Chris Reeve, he doesn't represent us. He is so rich and so fixated on cure he has no idea the reality of the majority of disabled people's lives. His own wife, Dana, told a friend of mine that Chris nevers sees the discrimination part because she, the wife, handles all the arrangements for him. He is protected from the effects of reality like rich white folks are protected in our society. Someone else does the dirty work for them.

Eastwood and Reeve - there is a match there.

Marta

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [clever how the reporter worked in all the cinematic references]
>
> Wall Street Journal - May 9, 2000
>
> Clint Eastwood Saddles Up
> For Disability-Act Showdown
>
> By JIM VANDEHEI
> Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
>
> WASHINGTON --Dirty Harry wants revenge, Washington style.
>
> This time, it is a gang of trial lawyers staring down Clint Eastwood,
> asking themselves about taking him on: "Do I feel lucky?"
>
> These "sleazebag lawyers," the veteran actor says, his voice
> constricting, messed with the wrong guy when they "frivolously" sued
> him and hundreds of other small-business owners for failing to comply
> quickly enough with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
>
> Mr. Eastwood, famed for his tough-guy cop and cowboy roles, says he
> isn't against the ADA; his fight is with trial lawyers whom he and
> some GOP lawmakers argue are "extorting" businesses with unwarranted
> lawsuits.
>
> 'I Won't Back Down'

snip