Parsing Perry Anderson

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue May 9 21:46:43 PDT 2000

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez wrote:

> Dennis R Redmond wrote:
>
> > In the wide wide world of capital, creditors have the power, debtors
> > have interest payments to make, or else they get their assets seized.
>
> Say whaa?? That may be when the debtor is Mozambique or Brazil, but this debtor
> has 12 aircraft carriers and a history of ignoring rules set up by itself
> whenever they are the least bit inconvenient.

If Dennis is even remotely correct (which I doubt, at least in the next generation or two), then Lenin's analysis of imperialism is going to be confirmed with a bang that nobody wants (except maybe Henry L). Those 12 Aircraft Carriers are for the present the world's dominant economic fact -- and it would take a generation or two for Europe (or any other power center) both to evict u.s. troops and to build the equivalent of those carriers and everything they stand for.

Carrol