Wealth effect

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Thu May 11 08:29:58 PDT 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Enrique Diaz-Alvarez wrote:
>
> >April retail sales plunge unexpectedly. -0.2% vs. expectations of +0.5%.
> >Apparently, the (partial) bursting of the bubble did what 5 interest
> >rates hikes and the certainty of more to come wouldn't. So far, my view
> >that the US economy is completely dependent on the stock bubble is born
> >out.
>
> I'd be careful about declaring the bubble burst on the basis of one
> month's retail sales figs.

Yes, yes, I qualified that with a "partial". Don't want to give Jordan any buy signals. If the nasdaq comes back (i.e., if US households dig even deeper into home equity lines and credit cards) retail sales will follow, I think.

> But if you're right, why do you conclude that 5 interest rate hikes
> had nothing to do with the decline in retail sales?

Because sales, consumer borrowing, inflows into stock funds, all continued to skyrocket on the face of the interest rates increases. The first signs of a slowdown didn't come until after the market unpleasantness. Of course, post hoc not necessarily ergo propter hoc and all that, but the evidence is pretty compelling.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique