Question

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Thu May 11 09:22:38 PDT 2000

``I am teaching introduction to U.S. Government for the first time in the fall, and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion about a text that relates basic political structure from a critical vantagepoint. Thanks.'' (Jacob Segal)

``I recommend Naked Lunch, by William S. Burroughs.'' mbs

``Plunkitt of Tammany Hall by Riordin. The only book you need to read to understand American politics and government.'' Tom Lehman

The Naked Lunch and Tamany Hall are of course essential to understanding what the US gov is, but we should at least give the reasons, which are found elsewhere. Elsewhere might include:

American Historical Documents, Syrett HC (ed.), College Outline Series, Barnes and Noble, NY, 1962, 429p.

The Basic Political Writings of Jean-Jacques Rousseau (Discourses on Sciences and Arts, Origin of Inequality, Political Economy, on the Social Contract), Cress DA (trans), Hackett Pub Co, Indianapolis, 1987, 227p.

Discourse on Livy, Machiavelli N, Mansefield HC, Tarcov N (trans), Univ of Chicago Press, Chicago, 1996, 367p.

Who Rules America, Domhoff CW, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 1967, 177p.

Crises of the Republic, Arendt H, HBJ, NY, 1972, 240p.

And lets not forget: Wall Street, Henwood D, Verso, NY, 1997, 372p.

The first book on the list contains all the documents that every course assumes were read and never were. I am quite sure for example that few in public office have read them.

Chuck Grimes