Women Children & Revolutionaries

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu May 11 16:13:50 PDT 2000

Chris Doss wrote:

> > > "Irony makes everything ok." - Ana Marie Cox, a woman.
> >ken
> >

> Maybe she was just being ironic.

Could be. By Molly Jackson:

A little talk with Jesus makes it right, all right Yes, a little talk with Jesus makes it right, allll right A little talk with Jesus makes it right, alllll right.

But Conrad's point is interestingly exhibited by the contrast between a song originally written by her husband's cousin with the revised version of it that became popular (circa 1943) as "Pistol Packing Mama." Molly Jackson was both a woman and a revolutionary, and wrote a fine song about children. Anyhow, here's the original of Pistol Packing Mama:

Now, this song I'm a-going to sing, It's about my cousin Bill; Late one Saturday evening He slipped off to a still.

His wife picked up her pistol And come to the foot of that hill, And the very first words we heard her say, "I'm a comin' to get you, Bill."

Chorus: Lay that pistol down, Ma, Lay that pistol down; You pistol packin' woman, Lay that pistol down.

Then old Bill began to tremble And then he looked around, kAnd Bill began to holler, "Ma, put that pistol down."

Then my cousin Molly Put her husband on the run, She chased him home to his children And broke up his drinkin' fun.

Then my cousin Molly carried a pistol And so did Cousin Bill; And did he get drunk and raise old Ned When he went to the still!

One Sunday night old Bill got drunk And he fell against the wall; His wife called out, "You drinkin' man, That moonshine caused it all."

I don't drink strong moonshine, boys, I'll tell you the reason why: It cause me to mistreat my woman It caused my children to cry.

If anybody ask you Who composed this song, Tell them it was Jesse Baker, A man that's dead and gone.

The popular version of the song chides the woman for lacking a sense of humor -- she just goes and spoils her husband's good time, as follows (from a 58-year memory):

Drinking beer in a cabaret, And was I having fun, Until one night she caught me right, And now I'm on the run.

Put that pistol down, ma [perhaps babe?] Put that pistol down, etc.

Carrol

Also by Molly Jackson (1880-1960):

The bosses ride on a big white horse, While we walk in the mud. Their flag's the old red, white and blue, While ours is dipped in blood.