China goes capitalist

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri May 12 07:55:04 PDT 2000

That's not what I hear. Amnesty Int'l says in 1999 China executed over a thousand, the U.S. 98, though in the case of the PRC, as Kathleen Turner says in Prizzi's Honor, it's not so much as a proportion of the population.

http://www.amnesty.org/ailib/aipub/2000/ACT/A5000800.htm

http://www.amnesty.org/ailib/aipub/1997/ASA/31703897.htm

More delicious to me is the bit about the share of the economy that is no longer socialized. Suppose it proved to be the case that the PRC had a higher share in private hands than, say, some of the Nordic countries. Where does that leave the case for indifference to bourgeois democratic norms, for the sake of greater economic whatever? Carrol? CB? Yoshie (if you're not in jail)?

cheers, mbs

They don't execute more people than your lot do, do they? Mark Jones http://www.egroups.com/group/CrashList