Punk rock and contemporary anarchism

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri May 12 09:12:38 PDT 2000

Chumbawamba is still one of my favorite political bands. Their new album is pretty solid. Also, they recently did a single ridiculing Tony Blair, which is worth a hear. They did it in the 50s girl group style.

My favorite Chumba album is the live one "Showbusiness," which also comes with a Chomsky CD (published by AK Press).

Also worth checking out is last year's "Fellow Workers," a collaboration between Ani DiFranco and Utah Phillips. I caught Utah Phillips at Wolf Trap this past January and he was a hoot.

Rage Against the Machine is decent, but their politics is fairly shallow. It's widely known that the lead singer is the only one who is political. Still, nice to hear a song about pirate radio on an "alternative rock" station.

Public Enemy had some good political songs as did the Goats.

There are also tons of political punk bands that don't have name recognition.

<< Chuck0 >>

This was the year *everything* changed.

-- Commander Ivanova, 2261

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/

Homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe