MSFT v Slashdot

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Sat May 13 02:14:51 PDT 2000

``Hey, I'm no programmer, I just use Microsoft stuff (on a Mac, though). From a user's point of view, it seems klunky and visually ugly. I'm assuming the guts of the code are like that too. Why? It can't be the lack of technical sophistication of their programmers, can it? And next to Apple & Adobe graphic design it looks like crap. Why is that? Surely they can afford snazzy designers. Is there something in the way they organize the design & production of software?'' (Doug)

``Actually, a lot of the Mac code is hideous, and the OS encourages some weird programming. Windows programming is also pretty klunky, unless you use Visual Basic, which is pretty nice (sometimes).'' (John Kawakami)

Somebody just gave me a 486/33Mhz system they couldn't get to recognize the hard drive. So, if they had read the BIOS message it says, ``can not access saved setup, check battery''. Well, there it is. After a $1.14 for a new battery, it booted Win95 with all kinds of junk. Hilarious. I completely forgot about MS after my old secondary slave with winsuck on it died last fall.

Tonight I hooked this beauty up with a network card and fiddled around trying to get Win95 to recognize it was on a network. Of course it didn't work. Win95 demanded disk #12 which of course I didn't have. Pretty awful. Since it has Exchange and Outlook on it, I was going to send this post on those so it would look just as fucked up as everybody else who uses those programs. But alas, its late and I have to work tomorrow, so this is going out on Xemacs instead.

Chuck Grimes