ex Prime Obuchi died today

JC Helary helary at eskimo.com
Sun May 14 05:07:27 PDT 2000

Seems like Obuchi who had been in hospital for about a month died today. The big thing here is to know whether or not he really died today and not days ago... The fact that Mori took over was in itself a huge controversy because of the different inconsistencies between what he said and what was reported by officials who had handled the Obuchi hospitalization.

Anyway, lower house elections are planned for June 25 (and Obuchi's daughter, a charming -on pictures- 26 years old will be candidate for the first time. I heard that more than 1/3 of politicians in Japan (national level at least) are what we call here 2nd or 3rd generation politiciens : (grand)sons/daughters of people who were elected after the war.

JC Helary