Suicide in New Zealand (Jim O'Connor)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun May 14 19:06:44 PDT 2000

New Zealand is almost as far south as Canada and Norway are north. Also about the same difference as Oregon and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which at one time at least led the U.S. in suicide rates. Social causes must be responsible for the relatively low rate in Sweden, since it pretty much shares long nights with Norway and Finland. SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is a major condition of suicide (though since most sufferers *don't* kill themselves, it cannot be the deciding cause. In general, however, most suicides suffer from either depression (clinical or SAD) or bipolar disorder. And I suspect that one should look to social factors for reasons victims of those ailments do *not* commit suicide rather than for reasons people *do* suicide. That is, social relations can give a reason to live to people whose personal condition might otherwise motivate them to kill themselves, but social relations probably do not lead to suicide. I do know a number of people who claim that the only reason they did not kill themselves was consideration for family and friends. In the decade before I was diagnosed with depression I frequently made mental lists of the people that my death would hurt and speculated under what conditions that list might shorten.

?????

Carrol