Supremes Knock Down Violence Against Women Act 5-4

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Mon May 15 09:57:07 PDT 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

> Once again, on a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court has upheld "states rights"
> and restricted federal power to remedy discrimination. If folks think Gore
> versus Bush makes no difference, wait until Scalia, Rehnquist, and Thomas
> get a one or two more hard-right justices to join them on their more radical
> "property rights" decisions. We are sliding towards a Supreme Court that
> will be as activist reactionary as the old Lochner court of the 1920s.
>
> -- Nathan Newman

Yeah, right, this refrain has been used by liberal activists ever since I can remember. They use the threat of who could be appointed to the Supreme Court as an excuse to vote democratic.

Well, the Clinton administration disproved that scare tactic. Look at the justices he appointed. What's more, look at what Clinton did to civil liberties during his administration. Make you almost pine for the days of George Bush, Sr.

I see one solution to this: abolish the Supreme Court.

<< Chuck0 >>

This was the year *everything* changed.

-- Commander Ivanova, 2261

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/

Homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe